Sunday, July 22, 2012

Looking good for your age.

Helloooooo again!

 I'm back. I'm fired up. Let's chat!!

I'm changing the focus of my blog (after a two year hiatus, I've decided to pick it up again). I love fashion, I love make-up, and every darn girly thing out there. But, I realized I love it because it makes me feel good. And not just good but powerful and confident. And as I've gotten older, I realize that is my passion - wanting to make all women feel good, powerful and confident. 

Fashion is one way to feel that but there's other things that contribute. So, I'm going to start focusing on all those things I think help us as women. 

The topic today - something I grapple with daily - is looking age-appropriate. (I'm 44 and still looking good, but not as good as I did at 35) Most of the time, I think I'm doing okay but there are moments when I'm shopping at the GAP and think, "What the hell am I doing in this store? I'm not 16!" and then the next thing I know, I'm headed to the cashier. (can you relate?)

I should maybe start with what my definition is of age-appropriate. For me, it means, if you are over 33, you should no longer be wearing clothing you did when you were 25. It means your make-up should be a touch more subtle. It means you don't shop at PacSun or Claire's or  are buying your bras at Aerie. At 33 (in my opinion) you should be "grown-up". You now have a woman's body, and hopefully a clearer definition of your future and who you are as a person and if you're really lucky, a grown-up job (or family). 


This age is a pivotal point where we, as women, should be feeling our power and not relying so much on what we look like but on what we know. We should be presenting ourselves as the force-to-be-reckoned-with that being in our 30's gives us. Not clinging to whatever it was in our twenties we needed to feel valued (our bodies, our faces, our cute hair-twirling etc).

Here are my questions for you, dear readers. Do you have clothing in your closet that is over 5 years old? When was the last time you bought a different type of hair product? Or got a new hairstyle? Have you changed your make-up routine in the last 3 years?? And are you jeans giving you muffin top because they're too low? Are you clothes hole-y or pilled? 

If you answered "Yes.", "Never", "10 years ago", and "No", "Yes." and "Yeah." to these questions, then you are teetering on the precipice of UN-age appropriateness. 

Things change ladies and we have to change with them. Being current (not necessarily trendy, mind you) in your wardrobe, your make-up, your overall style is not frivolous, its powerful. It shows the world that you are in the NOW, you care about yourself and have a deep self-respect. Those are all pieces to the overall powerful feeling that keep us as women relevant to those around us. 

So, do a self-evaluation. How do you feel? How do you want to feel? Do you have control of your life? If your answer to any of these questions is not what you want it to be, then take action. And if you don't know how, ask me.

Peace, power and confidence.  -Ruth

No comments:

Post a Comment