Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Sheesh! (and a little talk about jeans)

**warning - adult language is used and some words that sound like adult language. **

I know, I know - it's been 3 months since I lasted posted something. I decided I need more input from my readers so you all need to send me your questions - and they don't need to be beauty-related. Beauty, while I love it, can get old after awhile because really, we ladies are more than our outward appearances, aren't we? We have deep thoughts, we carry, deliver, and raise children, we manage our finances, juggle our families, our partners and cherish our friends. Shit man! That's alot!!

So, tell me what's on your mind. Send me a message on Facebook if that's easier or more anonymous - www.facebook.com/ruth.rosewarne.

So, on to a beauty topic... what the hell is up with skinny jeans? I think I might know maybe two women in my circle of hundreds of girlfriends that could actually wear a pair of skinny jeans and look good... and I'm not saying "hot", I'm saying "good".

But, they're all the rage right now - leggings and skinny jeans. In fact, one friend remarked to me - "when is the skinny jeans-thing going to be done?". My answer - not for awhile. Denim fashion, in all my years of paying attention to it, comes and stays... for AWHILE. *groan* So, we women-of-the-real-world have to find a way around it.

Here's my solution... ready... wait for it... straight leg jeans! *confetti, hurrahs all around*

Straight-legged jeans are universally flattering, albeit a little hard to adjust to after this past decade of bootcut-style jeans but they are flattering! Even for a hip-py, big bootylicious gal like myself. I bought some recently on a work trip - they were expensive, I ain't gonna lie - and they have become my wear-all-the-time jeans because A) the denim is really quality and B) they look good! They do! And I can wear them with the bigger, flowy tops and tunics that are popular to wear with those damnedable skinny jeans and leggings. Mostly, because the leg opening is straight to narrow, depending on who makes them. And I have to advocate for wearing some kind of heel with this style. Heels stretch the look of your leg, making the straight leg look longer, more overall flattering.

The jeans I bought are AG Adriano Goldschmied "the Tomboy" - they were almost $200 (beans and rice!) but, all I can say is, I can't wait to get another pair because the denim is top-notch; the cut very precise; the wash is perfection and the leg openings are wide enough for my chubby legs! I will own these jeans for 10 years or longer - mark my words.

Adding some contrast to this story - I also recently bought a pair of GAP "premium" jeans. They were a straight leg, "tomboy" style too. Deconstructed (meaning they had holes in them that were there on purpose). I bought my normal size (14 and proud!). The fit was to high on my waist making my already big booty look even bigger *hell no!*, and in about an hour of wearing them, they were so baggy they would hardly stay up. I predict these jeans will go to a good home in 6 months. Granted I bought them at the GAP for, like, $60 bucks but still - if I had applied that $60 toward another pair of AG jeans, those AG's would have cost only about another $100. (This is called "rationalizing your purchase" - which I do all the time to assuage my guilt of excessive retail therapy - try it!)

So, the moral of this story is this - forget the skinny jean unless you have a slim bottom-half and thin legs... Go "boy jean" or "tomboy" or "straight leg" - whatever you want to label them.... universally flattering!!

AND - expensive and good quality is always going to trump cheap and half-ass quality. Think durable and long lasting.

That is all the wisdom I have today, boys and girls. I'm serious about the feedback - I need feedback, questions, topics. Help!!

xoxo/ruth

4 comments:

  1. Love this topic! My friends thought I was crazy for buying Joe's Jeans, but you are right a good pair will go a long way and who doesn't want their butt to look decent? I am still bummed about the skinny jeans and could not be talked into them by the sales lady. The boys at my son's elementary school are even wearing them! Remember Guess jeans with the zipper?? Ugh.

    My question for the last few years finally got answered last week. What about these low-cut things on us girls who do not have six pack abs, AKA, the muffin top? Found the answer so you may want to pass this on. It's a tank that you tuck into those cute expensive jeans by Teez-her called The Skinny Tank.(www.Teezher.com) It works like spanx, but as a top. The bottom half is nylon/spandex, so slenderizes that problem area. It's only $30, so I got black and cream to layer under t's, sweaters or blazers. Yes, sit ups would make more sense, but in the meantime I need whatever help I can get. Can't wait for more topics, thanks Ruth!
    Hugs, No Six Pack here (Nicole in CA)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll have to look into the straight leg jeans idea. Skinny jeans look great on my 11yo, but definitely not on me! Thanks for the advice.

    ReplyDelete
  3. How will these jeans do with a small waist, a bubble-butt ( as my mom says) and thin legs?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Um, after two years, I'm not sure you want my reply, BUT, straight leg jeans are good on anyone. Universal. However, the hourglass shape of your waist vs butt (I have one of those bubble-butts too) might require you to have the waist taken in a little. It just depends on the jean. The pros all say, the key to a good fit is to try on a million pairs. In AK, we don't have that option. You must foster a good relationship with a tailor. :)

      Delete